Objective: design and develop my own unique designer toy.
Toy design is something I have had an interest in for a very long time. In 2019 I started a personal project with the goal to design and produce my own designer toy. Two years later, in 2021, the first edition was born.
The process went as follows:
- Sketching and ideating;
- Develop this design into a concept in 2D;
- Model the concept in 3D, I used Blender for this;
- 3D print the model, I used Cura to convert the Blender file to a printable STL file - printed on a Creality Ender-3;
- Sand, prime, and smoothen the 3D print;
- Make a silicon mold of the 3D print - initially I made a two part mold, but later on I found out that a single part mold actually worked better;
- Cast in resin, which gave the most problems. Frequent problems included leakage in the mold and air bubbles not being able to escape the mold. A vacuum chamber solved the latter problem;
- Painting, I used an airbrush and waterslide decals for this;
- Packaging design, this will include two parts foam (with a cut-out), held together by a branded cardboard sleeve, and finally sealed in shrink wrap plastic.
Used software: Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender & Cura