collectabun edition

Army 2.jpg

Year

2021

Brand

logo_collectabun.png

Used software

Photoshop

Illustrator

Blender

Cura

Toy design is something I have had an interest in for a very long time. In 2019 I started a personal project with the goal to design and produce my own designer toy. Two years later, in 2021, the first edition was born.

The process went as follows:

- Sketching and ideating;

- Develop this design into a concept in 2D;

- Model the concept in 3D, I used Blender for this;

- 3D print the model, I used Cura to convert the Blender file to a printable STL file - printed on a Creality Ender-3;

- Sand, prime, and smoothen the 3D print;

- Make a silicon mold of the 3D print - initially I made a two part mold, but later on I found out that a single part mold actually  worked better;

- Cast in resin, which gave the most problems. Frequent problems included leakage in the mold and air bubbles not being able to escape the mold. A vacuum chamber solved the latter problem;

- Painting, I used an airbrush and waterslide decals for this;

- Packaging design, this will include two parts foam (with a cut-out), held together by a branded cardboard sleeve, and finally sealed in shrink wrap plastic.

Initial sketches

A0DF19CC-FA5E-460B-BC40-4ACFF9CE90F6.JPG
views 2.jpg

3D modeling

Made in Blender.

Schermafbeelding 2019-10-02 om 02.19.38.
Schermafbeelding 2019-10-02 om 23.02.52.
Schermafbeelding 2019-10-02 om 23.03.25.
Schermafbeelding 2019-10-02 om 23.03.14.

3D printing

A 15 cm (6") PLA print, prepared in Cura, printed on a Creality Ender 3.

This print has been fully primed and sanded (approximately 10 layers of primer) for a smooth surface.

D31E2651-573A-44FF-98C1-1BDFF9B000F2.JPG
11bc25d9-a43a-4358-b217-47d73f0c8d1f.jpe

Mould making

Initially a two part mold was made in Silicon rubber (shore 15). Later on, new molds were made in a singe pore (and then cut open) to ensure a less apparent partition line.

3391015B-1BF9-4670-9C2D-D11BAF037179.JPG

Casting a toy

Smooth-On Smooth-Cast 300 resin was used to cast the figures.

Certain problems kept occurring, such as:

- Leakage of the mold, which was solved by making a new mold.

- Bubble accumulation, mainly in the cheeks and hands, which was partly solved by making a new mold with air vents and by using a vacuum chamber. In the future, a pressure pot should reduce these bubbles even more.

7686D53A-36C7-47FC-99B3-B241AAB90FD7.JPG
05FBB730-9D64-47DE-9C1D-D956FAA54D1B.JPG
4474AB43-9505-4985-8887-7329B6F77AEC.JPG

First successful toy

Remaining air bubbles were smoothed out by using Green Stuff. The product was then fully primed and sanded to ensure a smooth surface.

IMG_1759.jpg
IMG_1760.jpg
IMG_1761.jpg

Final product

The shown colourway is the first edition, which was sold in an edition of 10. The figure was fully painted using an airbrush. Custom waterslide details were used for smaller details (i.e. logos and text).

front.jpg
side.jpg
back.jpg
front 34.jpg
back 34.jpg
bottom.jpg

Packaging

The packaging will consist out of two foam halves, both with a cut-out. These halves are held together with a branded cardboard sleeve.

Collectabun_FoamBox.jpg
Foam.jpg
Sleeve.jpg